Friday, July 17, 2015


Three Questions Part Two

 

Last week I talked about the Three Question method of bible study.  This week I am opening up my personal notebook and going through a passage of scripture so you can see it in action. 

 

In my quiet time with God, I usually pick a book of the bible and work my way through it verse by verse.  Through the years, I cannot tell you how impactful this has been in my walk with the Lord.  Last year I was working my way through the book of Acts, today I will highlight just one day from my notebook.  Soon I will begin a series of posts from this book, but for today, I want to show this method in action, and how it can benefit anyone.

 

I like this method of study for many reasons, here are just some of them.

 

  1. It is a great way to break down the word, and study it.
  2. You can do as few or as many verses you want in a sitting, depending on how much time you have.
  3. If you do this with a friend/accountability partner, you get different perspectives on the same verse.  Iron sharpening iron in action.
  4. Hear God’s voice through His word.
  5. A journal you can use to hold yourself accountable.
    photo by patty


On this particular day, as I had been working my way through Acts, I opened the bible to Acts 10:23b-28, just five and a half verses.

 

And on the next day he got up and went away with them, and some of the brethren from Joppa accompanied him. 24 On the following day he entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 When Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and [t]worshiped him. 26 But Peter raised him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am just a man.” 27 As he talked with him, he entered and *found many people assembled. 28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man

[u]unholy or unclean. (NASB

 


photo by patty
To put this in context, the apostle Peter had just had a vision from God of all kinds of unclean foods that Jews were prohibited from eating.  In this vision, God told Peter to eat the food, saying, what He (God) had made clean is now clean.  No sooner did the vision end, and then Cornelius’ men arrived at his gate.  God told Peter to go with them, because they were sent directly from God. 

 



There were three reasons for this vision. 

  1. Peter was being sent to speak to the Gentile people and he would have to have meals with them.  God is now saying all food is acceptable to eat because he would be in strange lands and not have many food choices. 
  2. The food was a metaphor for the Gentile people God was sending him to.  That it is now ok to associate with non-Jews, and that God is now calling them “clean”. 
  3. Who are we to call someone unclean?  Who God cleans up, they are clean (and whole), who are we to not have a meal with them?

 

So here we are, Peter has just left his home and now is walking in the Centurion Cornelius’ home, and Cornelius and his whole family were there waiting for Peter.

 

I am going to go verse by verse so you can see the three questions in action.

 

23b: 

What does it say?  Next day, he got up, went with them along with brethren from Jappa

What does it mean?  We are not alone on our journey, righteous people walk along with me.

 What does it mean to me?  Who are those walking with me?  Who can I lean on when I need them?  Who needs to join me on my journey?

 

24:

What does it say? Following day they entered Caesarea, Cornelius and many others were waiting.

What does it mean?  Cornelius did not just want the good news for himself, he gathered all who meant something to him.  Share the good news of Jesus, don’t keep it to myself, or be afraid to tell others.

What does it mean to me?  Who does God want me to share with today?  Is there someone I am afraid to share with?

 

25 &26

What does it say?  When Peter entered, Cornelius fell at feet and worshiped him.  Peter raised him up saying “I’m just a man”

What does it mean?  Be careful not to elevate anyone above God.  It does not matter who they are or what they have done, they are only human.

What does it mean to me?  Who am I putting before God?  Who have I put on a pedestal that I have to remember is only human?  Is there someone I am in danger of putting in a position before God?

  
27 & 28

What does it say?  As they talked, Peter saw many assembled.  “You know it’s unlawful for a Jew to associate with foreigner, yet God has shown me I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

What does it mean?  Peter explained to all that God changed his heart, that God does not call any unholy or unclean and neither should I.  It’s time to tear down old walls.

What does it mean to me?  Who am I calling unholy or unclean?  Is there someone who needs to hear the good news of Jesus that I think is too far gone?  Is there a group of people that I am afraid to approach?


photo by patty
In my live it out part I wrote this prayer…

God I am only human and these who walk on this earth are also only human.  Help me to keep things in perspective and keep you in the place of honor above all else.  Help me to not elevate anyone or anything above you.  I Love You Lord!  God open my eyes to others, help me to see walls that I have built up that need to be torn down.

No comments:

Post a Comment