Friday, July 10, 2015


Three Question Method of Bible Study

 

I sat with my bible open, devouring the word as if I were starving.  I actually was starving for the word of God.  I was 38 when I asked Jesus to be Lord of my life. I had not known how sweet and satisfying God’s word could be, how much I needed it, and how much I craved it.  At the age of 38 all I could do was read, all I wanted to do was read.  I could not understand everything, but that was ok, I was drinking it all in as a baby drinks milk. 

 

It wasn’t long though, and I began to really desire understanding.  How could I read the word for myself and truly hear from God?  I knew He had something to tell me though the word, but how could I really know?  Sometimes words seemed to jump off of the page, and I knew it was a message from heaven, just for me, but I wanted to hear from God every day.

 


 

It was then that I learned the three question method of bible study. I was fortunate to sit in on several sessions of an Anne Graham Lotz seminar where I work, and through her teaching, my eyes were opened to a whole new world, and my heart was opened to a deeper understanding of the Bible, and relationship with Jesus.

 

It is a simple method of study, in that you only ask yourself a couple of questions about each verse, but it can be challenging, in that, it makes you think and take time to listen to what God has to say.  It is not something you can rush through, but you can do as little as one verse per day and still hear from God through that one verse. 

 

So what is the “three question method?”  I also call this the Anne Graham Lotz method, as this is who I learned it from, and on her website, which I will post a link at the end, if you have time, please check it out.  She has a video tutorial on this method

 

I am providing basic instructions, but please visit Anne’s web site for printed instructions and sample worksheets.  Once you can do this method from a work sheet, it is an easy transition to using a notebook and study on your own any passage of scripture you choose.  This is the only

method I use in my personal study.  I hope you are as blessed by this as I am.

 

First, read the desired passage then ask yourself the following questions.

 

1.      What does God’s Word Say?  Be Literal.  Make a verse by verse list of the most obvious facts using the
actual words from the passage itself. Do not paraphrase. Do not get caught up in details.
Ask yourself: Who is speaking? Who is the subject? Where is it taking place? When did it happen?
 
2.      What does God’s word mean?  Be Spiritual. Look for a spiritual lesson or principle within each fact.
Ask yourself: what are the people in the passage doing that I should be doing?  Is there a command to obey?
A promise I should claim? A warning I should heed? An example I should follow?
 
3.      What Does God’s Word Mean to Me? Be Personal.  Put the lesson you found in question 2 into the form
of a question you would ask yourself, your spouse, a child, a co-worker, a friend or church member.
As you write out your questions, listen to God communicate to you through His word,  Don’t rush.  Take time
to meditate and discover what God is saying to you.
 
Final step:  Live it out.  Read your lessons prayerfully, thoughtfully and attentively as you listen to God speak
to you.  He doesn’t always speak in every verse, but if something is speaking to you, record the verse, and
what your response will be.  In this step I hold myself accountable by dating it.
 


 




 

In next week’s post I’ll go through some verses starting in the book of Acts straight from the pages of my notebook so you can see how I do this method of study. 

5 comments:

  1. This is very helpful, Patty! I often rely on published Bible studies, but this is a great way to study passages on my own as well. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyneta,
      While I do published bible studies with the ladies at church, I use this method exclusively for my daily time with God. It's amazing. It is also how I get my ideas for the bible studies that I write.

      Delete
  2. I've used this method for years, along with a couple other ones. It really brings out ways to apply the truths in a passage to real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Patty, for sharing this. Anne Graham Lotz is one of my heroes in the faith. I learned a similar method several years ago but am pleased to have this and will put it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good questions! I do something similar to this, though I've started incorporating more of a lectio approach too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete