Thursday, June 4, 2015


6/5/2015

Submit.

 

When I first started to write this, I pulled out all kinds of scripture, definitions, and began to really break words down into a full on study; then I took a step back, and saw the teacher in me coming out.  Instead of all of my research, I’m going to start with a story.

 

My husband and I had been married almost eleven years before I gave my life to the Lord.  After, I began to struggle with the word submit, this was an entirely new concept to me.  Should I, as a Christian still submit to my husband even though he was not yet a believer?  I mean the passage in Ephesians says for “wives to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord” right?

 

God led me to read the story in Genesis about Abraham and Sarah.  There was a famine in the land, and Abraham, worried about feeding his family, without asking God, moved everyone to Egypt where there was food.  Next, fearing for his life, he told his wife Sarah to lie.  You see she was beautiful, and he was fearful that the Egyptians would kill him and take Sarah from him. 

 

So she submitted, and told the Egyptians that she was Abraham’s sister, she was given to Pharaoh to be his wife, and Abraham was allowed to live.  God protected Sarah, and sent all kinds of plagues and disasters to Egypt, so Pharaoh would not lay a hand on her.  Pharaoh, realizing what was going on, sent them all packing, telling Abraham to take his wife and leave.  He gave him herds, servants and riches just so they would go. 

 

Ok, so what was my lesson in this story?  It was that God protected Sarah in the midst of Abraham’s unwise, against God’s will, decision.  God also dealt with Abraham regarding that decision. So my ultimate lesson was to submit to my husband, and God would take care of me no matter what.

 

Now I know in general, in the world’s view, submit is considered kind of like a bad word, and often, Ephesians 5:22 which says, “wives submit to your husbands as unto the Lord.” it is often taken out of context and misused.  What people often leave out, is Ephesians 5:21, which states “Submitting one to another in fear of the Lord.” meaning first we submit one to another, then, and only then, are wives to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord.(emphasis added).

 

I took an impromptu Facebook poll about what people thought the word submit meant to them.  I thought I would get a lot of responses of what the world thinks of the word, but was pleasantly surprised.  Here were just a few responses.

 

  • Spiritually surrendering my life and my choices to the Lord
  • Surrender with my whole heart
  • Letting go, and letting God take over
  • Bow down my will to God
  • Palms up

 

I think, the main thing is to submit to the Lord first, when we are totally in His will; He will take care of us no matter what comes our way.  There is another benefit to submitting to God, not only will he take care of us, but the enemy hates it when we are in the will of God.

 

James 4:7 says

Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

 

So you see, when we submit to God, and resist the devil, he has to leave us. 

 

So, back to my story, I began to obey God, and submit to my husband.  It had an amazing effect on our marriage; I also believe it was one of the things that ultimately brought him to accept Christ in his life. 

 

To the men out there who are reading this, please remember Ephesians 5:21 and submit one to another as unto the Lord, your wife is a partner in life, do not misinterpret or misuse God’s will for marriage, and love your wife as Christ loves his Church, and your wife will gladly submit.

 

One thing I also want to make clear, submission never means abuse.  That is never ok, and should not be tolerated. 

 
What I am talking about is general every day stuff, make decisions together, work together, pray together, love God together, and He will take care of you, no matter what!  Try it and see

1 comment:

  1. This isn't an easy topic to tackle in today's culture, but you did it with grace. I love reading testimonies about God working in marriages. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete