Saturday, October 15, 2016


I’m doing this for your good

”I’m doing this for your good.”  How many of us have heard a parent say these words?  As a child. We question the truthfulness of our parents as they tell us, what seems like the worst thing in the world, is in reality for our good.  I know, to my horror, I have said these very words to my own daughter when she was young.

 

Recently, I had a very sick dog, and these words have taken on a new meaning and reality.  My dog Stella, had gotten into something, still unknown to me to this day, that caused her to be sick to her stomach, to the point that she completely stopped eating and drinking for days.  After and emergency trip to the bet, it was determined the course of treatment would be anti-nausea medication along with special soft dog food, topped with another medication that needed to be taken with food.
 

I was able to get her to drink a tiny bit of water after the anti-nausea, but she absolutely refused any food.  I ended up taking a very small amount of food and force fed her so I could give her the other medication.  To do this, I had to force her mouth open, shove the food in as far as I could get it without choking her, then hold her mouth closed and rub her neck so she would swallow.  When I thought enough time had passed, I let go of her mouth, only to have her spit out half the food.  This went on, and on until I was able to get enough food down her to give her the medicine.

 

Exasperated I said out loud to this dog of mine, “this is for your good, I am not trying to harm you.”

Instantly, it was if God Himself were speaking those words to me.  And isn’t that what he does for us?  Something is hard to take, or “swallow” and we fight against it.  Things like, a death of a family member, loss of a job, financial difficulty, troubles in marriage, prodigal children, health issues, or any number of things. 

 

If, however, we let God work in us through these things…

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

 


Romans 8:28 (NIV)

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

 

While I do not believe the “prosperity gospel” and believe it to be not biblical at all.  I wanted to see what it means for God to prosper us, or to work all things for our good.  I believe what this means is that God wants us to grow in relationship to Him, and with each other.  I believe His plans to prosper us, is to know joy in the midst of pain, to be able to bless others, and to glorify Him.

 

So how are we to be a blessing to others?

How do we grow in relationship with Him?

How do we grow in relationship with others?

 

There is no formula or easy answer to these questions, but really the only way I am able to do something that is not natural to me is through the working of the Holy Spirit.  He is my guide, my helper, and my counselor whenever I need Him. 

 

So, back to being force fed, so we can take our yucky medicine.  Try to see things through another perspective, and ask God how this will work for my Good?  Ask Him to grow you through this trial, and ask God to increase your joy through this hardship and guess what?  He will!

 

With God, we do have hope, and a future – try to look for it.

 





 

4 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when God speaks to you through your own words? He's done this to me, too, and it was so impactful. Thank you for sharing!

    Heather Bock
    www.glimpsesofjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's done this to me many times. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Patty, Thought provoking post. How is your dog now? God is so good to teach us through trials. I loved your statement, "plans to prosper us, is to know joy in the midst of pain," I wholeheartedly agree with you. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherrilynn, yes, God is so good to give is peace and joy in the midst of pain. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete